A Hair-Razing Experience

Shaving in the MirrorI’ve been shaving my head for almost 10 years… and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Don’t get me wrong, I loved my barbers (sensible Vicki and her insane cousin Mark… or, as he pronounced it, “Maaaaahk”), but I can’t say I miss trekking all the way out to Roslindale every 6 weeks or so to sit around waiting for an hour; Vicki and Maaaaahk were quite talented, but as a result had tons of customers. Besides, I’d been steadily losing my hair for a couple of years, so they really had very little to do.

The first day I shaved it was July 3, 2003… my 30th birthday. I was completely prepared, having done my research and bought one of these (which I still use from time to time). I was kind of embarrassed… so when I met my friends for dinner that night, I wore a baseball cap. My friend Jamie must have suspected something; “Let’s see it,” he instructed almost immediately. So I reluctantly removed the lid. The reaction, much to my surprise, was positive; my friends loved my new look.

I had been afraid of losing my hair; I’d even tried Rogaine in my late 20s, but to no avail. At first I thought that shaving my head was the ultimate sign of defeat: alopecia had won. I quickly learned to embrace my new look, though. Soon I grew a goatee to pair with the bald noggin (they were especially popular in 2004; I remember most of the hockey players in the NHL playoffs were favoring them over the more traditional “playoff beard”). Within a couple of years, the goatee had become a beard, which I’ve had ever since. I’m pretty happy with the way I look now, and don’t foresee changing it anytime soon. Bald is beautiful! These days I shave about 2 or 3 times a week; in fact, I shaved my head just this morning, and took the above pic when I did.

I’ve posted some more pics of my various stages of shaved-headedness below, plus a video that Titan director Jasun Mark filmed of me shaving my head on the set of Incubus 2.

1. Davis Derrick
    Davis Derrick says:

wow great story Jesse…. lucky you started losing yours at 30, I was mere young thang at 25 losing mine, so I said f#ck it and shaved it… now 43 and never regretted it. Keep up the sexy work handsome.

xoxo
    your fellow bald brotha

2. Malik
    Malik says:

My boyfriend started to lose his hair around the same age. He’s 38, he kind of learned to deal with it also and he’s all the more beautiful without hair as he was with.

3. Ben Robbins
    Ben Robbins says:

I think it was about 10 years ago when I started liking bald heads and I have not looked back. Because for me it is just another area to lick. lol.

4. Wesley B. Foreman
    Wesley B. Foreman says:

Jesse, God must have made your ass on a Saturday, because even He would want to take a day off to admire it. Great pictures and have fun in Europe.

5. Pete
    Pete says:

For what it’s worth, I have long found a handsome guy’s bald head to be a real sexual turn-on, but I’ve never gotten the chance to experience it personally. (I’m with Ben–the thought of licking a bald head makes me hard.) At this point it continues to be a hot fantasy for me. All your photos here are sexy, but I especially like the one from 2004 with the goatee. That said, your current beard fits you perfectly.

I’m glad you wrote this one…

6. Sam Glass Jr.
    Sam Glass Jr. says:

If you’d never breathed a word, I would’ve never known you were anything but always tantalizingly bald. I never had to worry about losing my hair, but when it didn’t grow back as much as when I was younger, I decided to just “go scalp commando,” and was fortunate enough to have the kind of head and healthy scalp to do it. But even when I HAD hair, I would agree with everyone here…I have always found bald to be “beautiful”.

7. MuscleOutlaw
    MuscleOutlaw says:

Just be careful guy. I hear Titan is planning to produce & film “Celebrity Apprentice Dick” and they’re going to want you to do your scenes in a Donald Trump apricot comb-over !

8. Ben Robbins
    Ben Robbins says:

In the shower…your voice sounds sexier and somehow you have whiter teeth. How did you manage that Jesse?

9. AnSan
    AnSan says:

Man, I always loved shaved heads. I find them extremely sexy and a big turn on.
    After I started to loose my hair a few years ago, I decided to shave my head and man, I don’t regret it at all.
    Would love to give you a hand shaving your sexy baldy and of course it would be great to get shaved by you.
    😉

10. matt
    matt says:

How do you shave so smoothly..>I cant get that done on my face and Ive tried every single razor, creme, preshave I can…I can never get close or avoid redness…Ive tried a goatee for years but still have to shave some areas…now trying a beard but with gray coming in, not sure a full beard will work but maybe the really close cropped one…but even then i can never shave 2 days in a row and while i ahve a buzz cuz also was losing hair, i could never imagine what it would be like having to shave my head constantly

It’s actually not constantly… these days I shave maybe twice a week. It’s easier than you might imagine. I just use a regular Fusion razor and some gel-based shave cream (not that foamy stuff) that’s better for sensitive skin… and when I shave, I don’t apply too much pressure. A light touch is enough, especially when you’re using a newer blade. Some people have luck with the Headblade products, but for me a standard razor does the trick!

Only on my head, though. When I shave my neck I always use my trimmer with the blade guard removed or else I’d get ingrown hairs all over the place.

11. Sam Glass Jr.
    Sam Glass Jr. says:

My hubby Bear likes to shave me whenever he can, but sometimes I end up having to do it myself. You’ve obviously been doing this for a while, so your head always looks incredible. Me, I have a big problem with that “scalp from a knife-fight” look, whether I use a new OR an old razor. I tend to use a complicated manouver involving the bathroom mirror AND a hand mirror to check myself, since no matter how careful I am doing it ‘by touch’, I ALWAYS leave some stubble behind. DANG IT!

12. Lee
    Lee says:

Jesse – we’d love to send you one of our new ATX razors…we think you’ll love it! The new design is super easy to use and we have new 4 & 6 blade refills very similar to those Fusion blades you’re using. Let us know man!

13. Jay Rookwood
    Jay Rookwood says:

My brother started losing his hair when he was around 20. When he started at university he gained the nickname “monkey” because he’s really good at climbing – he once scaled a three-story stone wall when he left his keycard in his hotel room. But while he was studying “monkey” gradually got shortened to “monk”, for the increasingly obvious natural tonsure on the back of his head. He does get kinda self-conscious about his hair. I suspect it doesn’t help that I have a full head of nipple-length curls that wouldn’t look out of place in a L’Oreal advert.

That said, I saw something online recently about a study that found bald men are (quelle surprise) sexier and more masculine. Which may explain why my sister-in-law occasionally gets mistaken for Kate Middleton, while I seem destined to remain a bachelor for life.

Too funny. You should tell “Monk” to try shaving his head. Worst case, it’ll grow back… but he may find it liberating, and he’ll save a ton of money on haircuts.

Someone sent me that same article! I actually used to be really self-conscious about my thinning hair, but now that I’m shaving it I’m as happy as a clam… and there are definitely some people who are into the chrome dome. And I don’t mind the Dwayne Johnson comparisons one bit (even if he’s wearing a wig in this particular photo):

1. […] I like being bald. I haven’t set foot in a barber shop in over twelve years… but Micah Brandt and Bennett Anthony are making me want to grow my hair out for the first time since 2003: […]

2. […] a year ago — has it been that long already? — I wrote a blog post called “A Hair-Razing Experience” in which talked a little about the first time I shaved my head with a razor (the day I turned 30). […]

3. […] Ever wanted a totally macho and sexy guy to shave his head in your shower??? Then watch Jesse: […]