Sex, Lies, and Internetfakes

Sex, Lies, and Videofakes

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but this crosses the line. Frustratingly, it happens a lot… somebody on a gay hookup app, or on Facebook, uses my pictures and pretends to be me. In this particular case, unfortunately for this “jim” guy (I’m guessing that’s not his real name), he started chatting up a good friend of mine. My friend knew instantly that it wasn’t me — I’d never talk that way! “Send me your horny pics”? I mean, really — so he reported this faker to the app’s administrators, and sent me the above screen captures as proof. Busted!

When this happens, it really bothers me. I’m often told that I shouldn’t worry about it, and just “let it go.” I beg to differ, however. As you can see in the above transcript, the impostor was, well… kind of a dick to my friend. And who knows who else he’s been a dick to. I certainly wouldn’t have spoken to anyone that way. This person wasn’t just borrowing my pics… he was borrowing my reputation, and starting out with a lie. In my experience, people who steal pics like this don’t actually meet up with their intended targets; they just string them along and eventually piss them off, then vanish. Now let’s say someone who’d fallen prey to this guy’s lies ends up seeing me out somewhere. “Gosh,” he’d probably think, “what a fucking prick!” before he even met me. That’s why I report profiles when I find out they’re using my photos. It’s my good name they’re fucking with.

I’ve had this happen quite a few times over the years, but now that I’m kinda recognizable I thought it would be harder for people to get away with it. As you can see, though, it still happens. And it happens to a lot of other public figures too; heck, somebody once tried to convince me that he was Finnish bodybuilder Marko Savolainen! (Haha, I wish!) But don’t just take my word for it… here’s the opinion of a real live celebrity, my friend Ian Parks, star of the hit series Where The Bears Are:

openquoteYou know what? I am just sick and tired of this happening. People are going to steal and use my pictures over and over, and there’s nothing I can do about it. I would’ve thought, because of the web series, that it would have happened LESS, not MORE, because you could then prove what name (Ian Parks) belonged to that face (mine).

I’m also tired of being told to “take it as a compliment.” It’s NOT a compliment, dear friends, because those people are out there being flaky douchebags while hiding behind my face, and the guys being flaked on or insulted then have a beef with the wrong person. I have experienced some real repercussions because of it, too, and it sucks to have to defend myself against something some anonymous chicken-shit said while using my images.

So, fuck it. Fuck it! Haha! I’m done putting energy into this situation. My emotional capacity for dealing with this has been reached and officially breached, so from now on, any person I see using my picture is simply gonna be blocked. No reporting, no teeth gnashing, no nothing. If they want my attention, they’ll get it for as long as it takes to block them. I’m done with it.

Ian Parks FingerSo if you see anyone using my pics as their own, please copy and paste this picture in a comment or message and send it to them. Say something like, “Ian Parks doesn’t appreciate you stealing his pics,” or be creative! Have fun with it! As long as the general message is “that’s someone else’s picture you’re using, and you suck for doing that.” Thanks. Baby Jesus loves you.

We love you too, Ian. It really does suck. But I admire your approach. Maybe I’ll make a similar pic and start using it myself. And to anyone else reading this who gets wind of their pics being stolen… I humbly suggest that you do something about it, and tell these fuckers what’s what. Don’t let anyone else put your worst foot forward!

1. Lindsayb
    Lindsayb says:

I’ve seen a couple fitness models on Facebook talk about people pretending to be them and duping fans, or trying to. Imagine the danger of meeting one of these idiots in person, or giving away too much personal information. You hear about some pretty serious catfishing scams like that college football, )or was it basketball?) player. Not to mention the potential loss of reputation. Scary stuff.

2. Robert Alvarez
    Robert Alvarez says:

Jesse, I must admit, this is the third time today that I have read about this happening.

This is definitely one of those situations that is especially frustrating, and clearly, there are too many people with way too much time on their hands.

Although, I must admit, Ian Parks looks incredibly delicious making sure people know that he is the real deal. And I have no doubt that you would look ubersexy (I know, that may be hard for some to believe, but I have no doubt that you and, of course, Dirk can easily pull that off!) doing it.

3. James C
    James C says:

There’s a guy in the Long Beach area on Adam4Adam that is using Jack Radcliff’s photo. Next time I see him online I am totally going to bust him for it.

4. william moore
    william moore says:

when i lived in indiana, i had a random guy run up on me at the eagle indianapolis and called me a fucking asshole and started cursing me out right there. i was confused but was ready to punch his lights out. he was visiting from chicago and a guy there had been using a 6 year old picture of me picking up guys with it. the guy contacted the fraud while he was at the bar and we sent him a picture of both of us together and put…’so you’re in indianapolis now right?’ he deleted his profile before we left the bar. after that incident i keep all pix and personal info off the internet and after i told my friends about it, they deleted my pix/info from their stuff. people are crazy and i could have been in a fight, or worse if the guy at the bar was a nut job, because of some online photos that i posted innocently and they were abused. i tell everyone about it in the hopes that they are conscious what they post, especially if it involves kids. i forbid my family from posting their kids photos because any one could be formulating a plan to do harm against kids and we must use caution when the internet is involved.

• Ali
      Ali says:

I also did the same like you and I even went further by stop using any dating website or hook up app few months ago because some friends texted me saying that there’s someone using my photos and claiming to be someone else
      Although I don’t post personal photos on my instagram knowing that my account is public and I only have 20 something friends on my facebook account and privacy limitations
      It could be someone I or you or anybody chatted with and sent him a normal photo then he will start misusing it

5. dee jay
    dee jay says:

Simple, if you are NOT a celebrity: don’t put your face ALL over the internet !!! People are too uncaring about putting all sorts of personal stuff on social media, especially photos !! Stop doing that, it’s not smart.

If you ARE celebrity it’s harder cause your photos are probably all over the internet and you didn’t even do it yourself. But all i can say about that, is that it is the risk of being a wellknown person. Make sure you become so famous that people will instantly recognize you so they won’t even dare to use your photos 😉

6. admirer
    admirer says:

Same goes for any kind of Internet abuse, as it would in real life. Trolls and the like – call them out if you like, but block and report. On a halfway well-run service they should be off within the day.

7. Reid
    Reid says:

Do he apps have anything in their ToS that allows someone to be banned for impersonating someone else? Would feel really good to get someone banned for that.

8. Ali
    Ali says:

I’m from Cairo, egypt and I stopped using any dating website or hook up app few months ago because stealing photos and making fake identities aka “catfishing” became so popular recently all over the world especially in countries such as egypt where people are oftenly in the closet I talked to people that showed me photos of other people claiming they are the person in the photos and some people I know texted me saying that someone is using my photos as they are his although I’m not a fitness model 🙂 some people do that in my country because they want to remain unknown because they don’t wanna reveal them selves and it’s a must to be careful in a non-gay friendly country but this is not a justification to steal other people photos and to deceive people

9. eric jacoby
    eric jacoby says:

To steel ones pic and identity is not right as you jest mentioned. It jest means thay are insecure,inperfect, and not capable of producing a pic and identity of there owne. If they did they would have no reason to steel from others. Maybe there pic and identity and life is worth mentioning on the internet?