Classical Caber VIDEO: Dirk’s Sonata for Flute and Piano… live!

Last Saturday saw the public premiere of Dirk’s Sonata for Flute and Piano (more accurately, the 4th movement of the sonata) as part of the American Composers concert at Trinity Lutheran Church in Fort Collins, Colorado. Dirk and I attended the concert in person along with several of our friends; our buddy Keith, who drove all the way up from Colorado Springs, was kind enough to shoot this video of the performance (above). He missed the first couple of notes, but you can hear the complete studio version of this piece (as well as many more of my hubby’s compositions) on Dirk’s SoundCloud page. The flute sonata is one of my favorites, and it was so amazing to hear it brought to life. By the end of the piece, I had tears in my eyes!

Here are a few pictures from the performance.

1. Cyn Duby
    Cyn Duby says:

So wonderful seeing this performed! It’s one of my favorites by him, too! TY to your friend, Keith, who drove all the way up there to video the concert. Just lovely and congrats to Dirk for a wonderful event! You must be beaming, Jesse 🙂

That’s a simple question with a complicated answer. We have a number of recordings of his pieces, but they’re done by various performers and we’re not sure what would be involved from a legal perspective if we release the performances. The easiest way to produce an album would be to pay an artist or ensemble to record a series of pieces — say the Eclogues or the Piano Miniatures — but that’s an expensive proposition. The Miniatures are more likely, as they would only require one musician (and we happen to know an pretty awesome pianist). We might need to launch a crowd funding campaign to record anything else.

• Mark Hand
        Mark Hand says:

I’ve listened to a few of Dirk’s pieces on Soundcloud and am impressed. If you do plan a CD, I would volunteer my services as graphic designer for the packaging if you’d like. I have designed over a hundred CDs of contemporary classical music — you can see some covers on my website. I’d like to help.

2. Brad Mitchell
    Brad Mitchell says:

Beauty,Brawn and Brains. Wow! I listened with awe as the girls played this marvelous piece. Huge thumbs up to Dirk for his ability to share his musical gift with the world. Love his work on sound cloud.

3. Liz
    Liz says:

That’s lovely, I really enjoyed it.

I’m curious to know what Dirk was like during the performance. Was he able to sit back and enjoy the performance, or was he busy analyzing it and taking notes?

I was kind of a nervous wreck when it was being performed, but the couple of times I looked over at Dirk, he seemed focused. I think he’s always critiquing his own work. When the performance was over, he seemed almost relieved that it got a very positive reception. “Well, I’m glad we got through that,” he said, or something like that. Always the critic! I think he enjoyed it though, and was really happy with what the performers did with it. I know I was!

4. Theresa
    Theresa says:

I have to say, classical music doesn’t really do it for me, but this is really good. Dirk is very talented, thank you for sharing.

5. Aaron
    Aaron says:

I listened to it this morning as the sun was just coming up. A perfect, beautiful soundtrack to start the day! Now, does he have something to motivate me to do laundry?