Classical… Jackman? I attempt to play Chopin’s C-minor prelude

I haven’t played piano in 30 years — I took piano lessons when I was a kid, from ages 6 though 12 — but now that there’s a piano in the house, I wanted to see if I could wrap my fingers around some of my old favorites, starting with Chopin’s prelude in C-minor (Op. 28, No. 20). So I practiced and practiced and practiced some more…. and……

As you can see, we’re both having fun with Dirk’s new piano. But it’s also an indispensable tool for my hubby… and coming soon, I’ll have video of Composer Dirk in action.

If the above video doesn’t play, try putting your mobile device into landscape mode, or use this alternate link.

1. Cyn Duby
    Cyn Duby says:

I’m WAY impressed … I can only read one line of music … at a time … if it’s in treble clef … and if I’m wearing my glasses. You rocked and your cheer at the end made my day! Huzzah!

2. Jorge Rubio
    Jorge Rubio says:

Hurra!!! You just gotta go back to take piano lessons to feel better…. and the good news is that you have a piano teacher at home!!!! Congrats!!! Thanks for sharing Jesse… all that you share! All!

3. Buddy Allison
    Buddy Allison says:

Great job Jesse, You have Dirk as a teacher you’ll be great before you know it…Also wanted to let you and Dirk know
    I recieved my CD today..many thanks to both.

4. Kaye P Hallows
    Kaye P Hallows says:

What a dramatic finish! Way to go, you! A delight for the eyes and ears! Seriously- I applaud you for working so hard at it. You two are inspiring me to revisit some old favorites. Keep up the good work!

5. Sam Glass Jr.
    Sam Glass Jr. says:

Nothing sexier than a hot guy, who can also play….PIANO. But then you’re brain has always been as hot as….your everything else, Jesse! I don’t play much now, but when I was, I remember teaching myself to play the opening of that by ear. But that was only because at the time, I recognized it as Barry Manilow’s “Could It Be Magic,” which he TOTALLY swiped from Chopin (which I know NOW.)

6. Andrew Wong
    Andrew Wong says:

Yay! You’re the total package Jesse. Smart, articulate, kind, lovable and HOT as hell. And you can play the piano too. Do you sing as well?

7. Will Blois
    Will Blois says:

Haha, great job. One of my favs.

Interesting note, and one that I’m curious if Dirk or yourself have noticed – I’ve found that my practice sessions at the piano have been so much better since I started working out a year or so ago. After a great work out, when your muscles are sore, you can feel exactly what muscles you’re using while at the piano, which is really a godsend if you’re trying to combat bad posture at the piano, or figuring out exactly how to use your body to get the sound you want. Also, just developing some muscle tone lets you more easily see what muscles are activated while playing – I can see your triceps are getting a workout just from playing these chords in the Chopin, haha.

1. […] + Classical… Jackman? Jesse Jackman attempts to play Chopin’s C-minor prelude. [Jesse Jackman’s Blog] […]